What if?: Old School

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Old School

I had already cut my tags. LOL. Eh, it's more challenging anyway.

*^*^*^*^*^*

"So there I am, hastily apologizing to my guests while hauling her into the kitchen when Janie then says to me, 'But mommy, you told me those pads were napkins and were for a special time of the month,'"

"Oh my God! That is hilarious."

"Laura, you should have seen my face when I walked into the dining room."

"That'll teach you not to glaze over the facts of life Courtney."

"Yeah, well come talk to me when Emily is six and digging through the bottom of your linen closet. Can I have a fry?"

"Of course; like I need them to begin with."

"I'm glad we did this. We haven't had a chance to talk…"

"…in ages I know. This is something I did need."

"Well let's not wait that long to do it again, ok?"

"Sure. It's just hard… it's hard to get out, you know?"

"Sure."

"You want some more wine before I finish this off?"

"Wow the bottle's empty already?"

"Yeah, should we order another?"

"You should take it easy Laura, you have to drive home."

"Ah see, if I have too much to drink, I can just go home with you. Then I won't have to go back to my house."

"Laura."

"Laura honey what's going on?"

"Nothing, really. I'm just being silly."

"You're not just being silly. You've had three-quarters of a bottle of wine, and are only half-joking about not wanting to go home. Come to think of it, you've avoided talking about yourself and Steve all night. Talk to me; it's me, Courtney."

"Once when I was a student intern, I remember being at home and sitting up in my bed, suddenly realizing I had mixed someone's medicine wrong. I had given them less---not more, but still… the feeling you get when you've made a mistake…you know?"

"I'm not sure I follow you."

"Have you ever felt that Court? Like you just woke up and realized you've made a mistake?"

"Like the, 'I have a test today and I didn't study plus I'm wearing no pants' feeling?"

"Sort of, yeah."

"You can come over tonight if you want Laura; no excuses needed. We can just hang out more, and talk if you need to."

"No. No, it's ok, I have to go home. Running away doesn't solve anything."

"It's not running away, it's just a slumber party."

"You're so cute Courtney. Seriously. Let's just make a pact to meet up more, ok?"

"Ok, but promise to call me tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"I mean it. If you don't I'll hunt you down!"

"Okay, okay!"

"Waiter, can we have the check please?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Dancehall said...

Nice piece. I could see these two sitting in a restaurant.

"Laura."

"Laura honey what's going on?"

I can see Laura looking down on her plate and not seeing anything. I can see the Cortney's brow creasing.
Great job of giving us enough, and letting the mind take over. I really like this piece!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see Laura sitting in couples therapy lying to her husband and the therapist.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home